What is the Transition to Work service?
The Transition to Work service, an Australian Government initiative will provide intensive, pre-employment support to improve the work-readiness of young people and help them into work (including apprenticeships and traineeships) or education. The service will have a strong focus on helping young people to understand what is expected in the workplace and to develop the skills, attitudes and behaviours expected by employers.
Skill360 in partnership with BUSY At Work is your local provider for the Townsville region.
Information for young people
In Transition to Work young people can get intensive pre-employment support to help them set and achieve their employment and education goals.
What services can young people get?
Transition to Work service, part of the Australian Government’s Youth Employment Strategy is focused on building a young person’s skills, confidence and readiness to enter employment. To achieve this Transition to Work providers will help young people:
- develop practical skills to get a job
- connect with education or training
- find and complete work experience placements
- find job opportunities in the local area
- connect with relevant local community services.
Transition to Work providers are experienced working with young people who have left school early or who have had difficulty entering employment after school. They also have strong links with employers, community services and schools in their local community.
Who is eligible?
Transition to Work is designed to help young people who are early school leavers or those who have had difficulty entering employment after school. To participate in Transition to Work a young person must be:
- Aged 15-21, and
- an Australian citizen, or
- the holder of a permanent visa, or
- New Zealand Special Category Visa, or
- Nominated Visa (including Temporary Protection Visa or Safe Haven Visa).
Eligibility will also depend on a young person’s circumstances, including whether the young person:
- has been awarded a Year 12 certificate or Certificate III
- has been employed within the last six months
- receives an income support payment such as Youth Allowance
- is currently participating in another employment service including jobactive.
If you want to know if you can participate in Transition to Work you should talk to a provider in your area. You can find your local Transition to Work provider on the Find a Provider page on the jobactive website.
Information for employers
Transition to Work providers will deliver high quality services to employers to ensure young people meet their needs and are supported to settle into a job. Services include:
- pre-employment skills training directly relevant to local employers and the labour market
- work experience placements for eligible participants to assess a young person’s suitability for a job
- wage subsidies of up to $6500 over 12 months to help take on eligible young people, such as any hiring and training costs
- post placement support to ensure a young person settles into a job and the employer’s expectations are being met.
Contact your local Transition to Work provider to access these services or lodge a vacancy. To find your local Transition to Work provider visit the Find a Provider page on the jobactive website.
Want more information?
- Search for a local Transition to Work provider on the Find a Provider page on the jobactive website
- Read the Transition to Work fact sheet
- If you are a young person or a Transition to Work participant, call the National Customer Service Line on 1300 854 414
- If you are an employer, call the Employer Hotline on 13 17 15.